Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Soup Recipe #2: Potato Leek Soup, Allergy Friendly (Corn Free, Dairy and Soy Free)

It's been chilly around here today, so I made potato leek soup and it was divine. :)  I think the first time I made this was last year, and I was so proud of myself for being able to figure out substitutions that worked!

I modified this from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com .  The original recipe is called "Potato Leek Soup III" over there.  I'll list the original recipe first, then relist with the modifications I made (besides corn free, I also have to make sure it's wheat, dairy and soy free).  Even if you don't have allergies, the modifications make it a LOT healthier--coconut oil is good for you, so way less guilt than that large amount of butter; and hooray for replacing the heavy cream!  It turned out really good!  It's very thick, so keep in mind that a little goes a long way once it settles. LOL


Original ingredients list:

1 c. butter (yikes)
2 leeks, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 quart chicken broth
1 Tbsp. cornstarch (that word gives me nightmares)
4 c. potatoes, peeled and diced (Yukon Gold suggested but I just used russet)
2 c. heavy cream (yikes again)


Heidi's modified ingredients list:

3/4 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. ghee
2 leeks, sliced (I slice in half lengthwise first then chop thinly like I do with green onions)
salt and pepper to taste
1 quart chicken broth (I was a little short so combined chicken stock with vegetable stock to make a quart and it tasted great)
2 Tbsp. tapioca starch/flour (with tapioca, whether the box says starch or flour it's the same thing.  I increased to 2 Tbsp. because I didn't use heavy cream and wanted additional thickener to make up for it)
6 c. potatoes, peeled and diced* (I increased from 4 c., again because I didn't use heavy cream and this added to the thickness)
2 c. canned coconut milk (I use milk from young, green coconuts, no guar gum added.  If you use coconut milk that has guar gum added to it, reduce tapioca starch to 1 Tbsp.)



1.  Over large pot over medium heat, melt coconut oil and ghee.  Add thinly sliced leeks and salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.

2.  Stir tapioca starch/flour into broth, then pour broth into pot.  Add the potatoes and bring to a boil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour in the coconut milk, reduce heat and simmer at least 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.  Adjust salt and pepper if needed to taste.  After removing from heat, use potato masher to lightly mash most of the potatoes (this will also help replace the thickness lost from not using cream).

* This did turn out very thick, so if you don't want it quite as thick or want a better idea of the starting point, reduce to 4 c. potatoes and see how you like the results with that.  Then you can adjust the amount you put in accordingly the next time.  My husband and I ate ours in bread bowls, and honestly one serving of soup (about two ladles full) was plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment