Friday, October 4, 2013

And the Laundry Saga Continues. . .

    The asbestos got pulled out last week, and the insurance finally got the final estimates, etc. done and we got the call to pick out flooring, which we did yesterday.  No idea how long it will take for the restoration to get going.  I am so ready to put my house back together (not that I am a fantastic housekeeper in the first place but this has produced even more chaos than usual); I am very ready for the refrigerator to not be in the dining room anymore.  It would be really cool to not be walking on sub flooring in the kitchen, too.  I should count my blessings, though, because I had a friend tell me that they had a flood several years ago when their family was on a vacation and her parents' kitchen still looks like ours; I'm guessing they probably didn't have insurance that covered everything.

    I think the big reason this has taken so long is because two days before Sir Maytag gave his attention-grabbing performance, we had a really big storm in the area that caused flooding in a lot of homes. For some reason we didn't get any flooding with the storm, but since our incident happened right in the wake of all of that, we have been one of many claims.  If I remember correctly they have been processing about 120 other claims locally at the same time.

    I will be glad when everything is done, and am a little worried about adhesives and other smells when they put the new flooring in.  If it turns out that we need to reconstruct "Hoboken" outside for a few days, I'm really hoping that the work will coincide with a pocket of warmer weather for several days.  It has been COLD lately and my daughter doesn't need to get sick again.  Her allergy bucket has been filling up a lot more lately than it had in a long time and we've had to keep the compounded Benadryl handy a lot more than we have in awhile.  On the whole things have been a lot more encouraging as far as her getting well, so having these setbacks is frustrating and discouraging.  As much as I hate seeing her sick, I know it's a drop in the bucket compared with how she has to be feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment