Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wheat-Free Banana Muffins


    This is one of the best muffin recipes I've found since having to change my cooking for Brittany's dietary needs.  The only thing I've had to modify is the baking powder by making my own corn-free version, and it is a favorite around here now. I got it from the book "Back to Health" by Dennis W. Remington, M.D. and Barbara Higa Swasey, R.D.  The recipe I use for baking powder is starred after the muffin recipe.

    I'm not certain now if bananas are safe for Britt because of the ripening and shipping process, but different people have varying levels of sensitivity.  If you do fine with bananas, then try these!

1 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c oat bran
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I leave out the nuts)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 T baking powder*
1 mashed banana
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 T cold-pressed oil
2 T honey
3/4 c. milk (I use unsweetened almond milk; you could also use rice milk or other milk substitute)

1. Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl; set aside.

2. In smaller bowl, mix together the mashed banana, eggs, oil, honey, and milk.

3. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and combine only until moistened.

4. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Yields 12 muffins

*Homemade corn-free baking powder:  Mix 1/3 c. baking soda, 2/3 c. cream of tartar and 2/3 c. arrowroot together; store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment