Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cream of Zucchini Soup--YUMMMM!!!


    Last night I made one of Brittany's favorite things to eat for dinner--cream of zucchini soup.  This is such a great recipe, easily adaptable for allergies, and so healthy.  I found it about a year ago while we were doing a yeastlifting protocol, from the book Back to Health by Dennis Remington, M.D. and Barbara Higa Swasey, R.D.  The creamy texture is accomplished by pureeing everything after it is cooked (I still leave a little bit of texture in it so just pulse the blender), and then adding only 1/2 cup of milk (any will do; we use almond milk because of dairy issues).  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Cream of Zucchini Soup

2 medium onions
1 1/2 lbs. zucchini
1/2 c. milk (we use almond; can also use rice milk, etc.)
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 T butter (I use olive oil)
3 c. chicken broth
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. salt (I use canning salt; iodized has corn)

1.  Chop and cook onion in butter until clear and soft, but not browned.

2.  Wash and slice zucchini while onions are cooking.

3.  Combine onion, zucchini, and chicken broth in saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender.

4.  Add seasoning and put mixture into blender to puree until smooth.

5.  Add milk.  Adjust seasonings to taste (I increase the salt to 1/4 tsp.).

    Between all the zucchini from our garden and zucchini others have passed on to me, we have a lot!  I am going to make large batches of this and can it in my pressure canner.

No comments:

Post a Comment