Saturday, September 10, 2011

Freezing My Buns Off!!!

    I'm doing a lot of freezing in preparation for winter, since there is so much fresh produce in abundance right now and I am a little terrified at what will be available during the winter.  I do have a few good organic store sources, but I feel much better knowing that I am getting things in season locally.

    It's not often that you actually hear someone ask for more zucchini. . .it seems that zucchini is the one that overproduces and people are trying to pawn it off on their neighbors:  "Look what we brought for you!!!"  "Oh, THANK you (really thinking: 'What the crap am I going to do with this???')!"  But I actually sent word in the neighborhood that I was willing to take all the extras I could get, thinking I would make a bunch of that wonderful cream of zucchini soup and pressure can it.  After going through all the instructions on my pressure canner, I'm a little scared that I'll screw it up so I'm freezing sliced 1 1/2 lb. portions instead and am going to to do the same with chopped onions.  So far I've done 7 portions from our garden and zucchini one of my friends gave me, and another neighbor called and said she's frozen all she's going to and we are welcome to come and get as much as we want while the plants are still producing!

    Today at the farmer's market I bought 10 huge, gorgeous green bell peppers and chopped them up for freezing; I am planning on getting more next week.  I got onions, as well, so I'll be getting to work on those soon (celery would probably be a good idea, as well).  I am planning on doing a couple of bushels of peaches; I usually can, but I think I will freeze half, sliced up for smoothies.

1 comment: