Tuesday, September 6, 2011

These Are a Few of My New Favorite Things

Now, THAT is funny-looking and a little bit scary.

    Last week I made fresh ginger tea for the first time.  It's supposed to be good for headaches and bodyaches; since Brittany deals with headaches a good amount of the time I thought we'd give it a try.  Buying fresh ginger was a little adventure all by itself; that is some funky-looking stuff!  I'm not certain at this point whether she was just being a good sport or if it the tea really helped, but she seemed to have a better day.  I made it in the morning while she was getting ready and she drank it in the van on the way to school.  It's kind of like drinking red hots, so I'm thinking that drinking it on the go wasn't the ideal scenario. :)

    The smell of ginger tea is divine!  I used the recipe at Kristy's Living It Up Corn Free blog; here is the recipe: http://www.livingitupcornfree.com/2009/11/ginger-tea-is-elixir-of-health.html .  I didn't have a tea ball, so I just put the finely diced ginger in the pot with the water and then strained the liquid through a paper towl in a colander and then into a stainless steel bowl before pouring some into the mug.


And yes, that is a snowman mug. :)



     After dropping Brittany off at school, I found myself on the tea aisle at my health food store in search of tea balls.  What a great discovery!  You just open it and put your herbs or tea leaves in, then clasp it shut.  I also found raw herbs and bought dried ginger to have on hand, as well as peppermint leaves, since Brittany loves peppermint tea.  I am now scared of plastic because of how often corn makes its way into creating a lot of it, so I bought some metal tins to keep the herbs in.  I felt so happy on the herb aisle; I have felt nudgings for quite awhile to learn about herbal remedies, and it felt so good.  I had a distinct feeling of being where I needed to be; almost like I was "home."  I am looking forward to learning more and actually knowing what to use at any given time without having to google. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment