Friday, November 1, 2013

Homemade Deodorant Recipe--Corn Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free, etc.

    I don't know why I haven't posted this sooner.  Brittany made a new batch of deodorant about a month ago and I had the thought, "Huh!  I haven't put this on the blog!"

    If you've looked on the Disclaimer tab on the blog, you will have noticed that I mention how besides food, you need to look at other things, including hygiene and grooming items, if you are dealing with this allergy.  In trying to rid the system of traces of corn, things like shampoo, toothpaste, soap, deodorants, etc. need to be considered as well since the body absorbs the elements used in making these items.

    I felt like I was permanently cross-eyed for at least 9 months after realizing there were many more hidden sources of corn than I had realized.  Added to the "Lost in Wonderland" feeling was a lot of alarm because as we got more out of her system, her sensitivities shot sky high as a defense mechanism.  We had a few "honeymoon" periods of time where she did noticeably better and then all of a sudden she would get sick again and we would trace it tosomething like a derivative that we didn't know was from corn that was in such a miniscule amount that you wouldn't think it would be a cause for concern, but it turned out to be her body going after every tiny little trace once it got that signal of feeling better when the more obvious sources were gone and worked out.  (And yes, I realize that was a horrible run-on sentence and today I do not care.)


    The question of whether or not to change deodorants came when at one point the skin under her arms had a green tinge to it.  She noticed at one point earlier in time that she had to switch deodorants up or they stopped working.  When we realized that fragrances were corny I got some unscented and it didn't work. We tried crystal stick deodorant and that burned and also didn't work for eliminating odor.  Also, if I remember correctly, it was after using the crystal stick that her underarms looked sunburned.  It was awful. I knew coconut oil was healing so got some for her to use, if for nothing else than to heal the skin.  I had also seen on the forums that some people just use coconut oil for deodorant and it works fine.  For her, she had to apply many times during the day for odor but it did help heal her skin.

    I then tried a combination that I found somewhere that just involved shea and cocoa butter, I think it was. This worked better than coconut oil, but she still had to apply it several time per day.  It did soothe her skin, though, and it wasn't long before the skin looked normal again.  It had kind of greasy feel to it, though.  It didn't prevent perspiration and didn't last as long as I thought it would when I made it up.  She also started reacting to the cocoa butter after awhile (something I hadn't considered even though chocolate showed up on her list of sensitivities).  One thing I really like about using mango butter is that it doesn't add any fragrance--with the cocoa butter she said she felt like she smelled like a chocolate chip cookie. :) I get both the shea and mango butters at my health food store.


    Through some trial and error and looking at tips from other people I finally happened upon a good combination that works well. Zinc oxide is a key ingredient for helping with perspiration.  The person who clued me in on this had a combination that she felt prevented perspiration TOO much, so I adjusted the amount down according to her recommendations.  Adding baking soda to it occurred to me while I was making it and I'm pretty happy with the results!  When this cools it is really thick and solid.  You could probably pour this mixture into deodorant stick containers, but I haven't found a store locally that stocks them and I don't feel like ordering them, so we just use a jar.

    Ready for the recipe?  Here you go!


Homemade Deodorant

4 oz. pure shea butter
4 oz. pure mango butter
4 oz. zinc oxide (pure without fragrance; Walgreen's brand is really good.  Just be careful not to get the kind labeled for "baby care" since they tend to put a baby powder fragrance in it)
1/8-1/4 c. baking soda
20-40 drops essential oil of choice if desired (we use bergamot)

    Fill a medium pot about halfway with water and place jar in water.  Put shea butter, mango butter and zinc oxide in pint-sized jar (a mason jar is fine) as you bring the water to boil.  When the water starts boiling, reduce to simmer and continue to simmer until ingredients are melted.  Stir frequently during the process to combine ingredients well. When completely melted (no lumps), remove jar from water to cooling rack to let cool. This will take quite a long time and it's best if you can go in and stir every 20-30 minutes to keep ingredients from separating. About 3 hours into cooling process, stir in baking soda and essential oil.  After about six hours you can leave it alone since it will be a lot more solid, but it will still be creamy.  If you are doing this in the evening, it will take until the next day for it to be completely solid.  Apply with your fingers as you would for a cream or lotion (pretty sure this is how it was done before deodorant sticks, sprays, etc. were invented).

    
    That's it!  I think Britt only applies this morning and night, but this will vary according to the person's body chemistry.  I am one who does great with just coconut oil (and a dusting of talc in the summer) a few times per day.  I used to use crystal stick and it worked great for quite a while, but then I made the mistake of missing my Secret brand pear scented deodorant.  Used it a couple of days and it made me itch like crazy, so I went back to the crystal stick and I think there was a chemical reaction because boy howdy, OUCH!!! It was then that I had deeper empathy for the burning rash she had had before.  Coconut oil was the only thing that soothed it.  I've snuck her deodorant a few times and it works really well, so I think I'm going to make me some, as well.

2 comments:

  1. For the coconut oil, I seem to remember needing to put it on every 15 minutes if I didn't want to be stinky, and for the cocoa butter combination I had to apply every 45 minutes. The crystal stick, for me, wasn't just a burning rash. It literally burnt off my skin layers (although I am grateful to not be green anymore. ;) ) And then for this wonderful deodorant, I do put it on every morning and every night (...except for when I am exceptionally tired!) - it lasts for 15 hours, but since I sleep for 12 and stay awake for 12-14 most days, I play it safe and apply when I wake up and before I go to bed. ^_^ Also: WHAAAAT??? You've been sneaking into my room?? I'm happy to share, all you need to do is ask, silly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) I've only used it a few times. LOL Thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete