Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Invisible Dragons


    A friend of mine shared a post she did on her blog called Invisible Dragons, addressing some challenges they deal with in their family.  She does a beautiful job of describing how we all fight battles but it is particularly challenging for those whose dragons are invisible.

    As I've interacted with others on the allergy forums, the subject of being poorly treated by others who don't understand the range and severity of their symptoms often comes up.  It's often a very isolating experience. Brittany has had people tell her to her face that she is just making excuses to not get out and do things, to stay home, etc. and it has been very hurtful.  There are people in our lives whom I would have expected to have been a source of loving support and have been extremely cold and silent instead, and it has been very evident that there are people who think we either lie about this or exaggerate how bad it has been.  You know, because we love not being able to attend functions due to environmental factors. Anyone who has known us over the years knows that we love socializing, and Brittany has always, prior to this experience, been the person cycling, rock climbing, hiking, etc.  Spending the majority of time inside is NOT her idea of a good time, but she has made the most of the circumstances.  It has been really hurtful and one of the strangest experiences I have ever had.

 Anyway, as I read her post I felt that a lot of people can relate to her words, although our individual circumstances vary.  And it is a beautiful, gracious reminder to try and not judge people for what we see on the outside.  You just never know what people are dealing with.  First I am providing the link to her blog and then copying her post here.


http://invisibledragons.wordpress.com/

What are your Dragons?

 
Everyone has them. Not all are seen. Not all are heard. They are there. They are standing guard protecting man’s greatest treasure. Happiness. Some days our Dragons are more visible, other days they are invisible to all but the brave soul waging war to seek out the treasure of happiness. While I struggle with my own Dragons, the ones that seem to win more often than not are the ones I have to watch my sweet son battle. As a mother, nothing is more heart-wrenching than sending him in to battle against his Invisible Dragons. I give him the weapons, support, encouragement and help that I can along the way but in the end it is a battle he must wage on his own; at 5. It is a battle most will never understand and one that he is constantly judged for. When the adversary is invisible, the judgements are harsher. None of us see the size, strength or determination of the foe. All we see are the times the knight falls down, drops his sword, loses his resolve. We don’t understand the quest he is on nor how vigilant he must be to protect himself from the Dragon while on his quest to find the treasure. Let us all be a little more understanding, patient, kind and loving as we see others struggling against their invisible Dragons.
May we all take a moment to ask ourselves, “What are my Dragons and how can I make progress in my quest to secure that treasure they are so skillfully guarding?”
If we are truly honest with ourselves, I’m sure the answers will surprise. My hope is that as I share some of our experiences, positive and negative, with my son’s Dragons that others will find support, strength and encouragement to wage battle.


No comments:

Post a Comment